CAPE CANAVERAL — NASA's Kennedy Space Center apparentlyavoided major damage as of Wednesday night, and the agency's next shuttlelaunch likely will remain on schedule.
The stormshut down the nation's shuttle homeport two consecutive days and regularoperations won't resume until Friday.
But the targeted Oct. 8 launch of shuttle Atlantis and sevenastronauts on a fifth and final Hubble Space Telescope servicingmission is expected to take place as planned.
"Right now, as far as we are able to tell, there willbe no impact to the Oct. 8 launch date," KSC spokesman George Diller said.
A Titusville resident, Diller is one of 200 people who rodeout the storm at the KSC Emergency Operations Center, keeping vigil over thenation's three-orbiter shuttlefleet and spaceport facilities.
A single panel of aluminum siding blew off the east side ofthe KSC Vehicle Assembly Building, and a glass door at an office buildingshattered. There were also a few downed trees.
"So far, we're doing much better than the folks in South Brevard," he said.
NASA planned to bring a core group of "missionessential" personnel into work at 10 a.m. today to ready the spaceport forregular operations Friday.
At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and Patrick Air ForceBase, the storm plan remained the same: "Nonessential missionpersonnel" will shelter in place today. Mission-essential personnel willbe recalled as required.
The Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex is closed today andwill reopen Friday.
? Video Player: Hurricane Bertha: Viewfrom a Million Feet