In this historical photo from the U.S. space agency, Colonel E.R. Page, William F. Durand, Orville Wright, Addison M. Rothrock are visiting the Aircraft Engine Research Laboratory in Cleveland, Ohio, now known as John H. Glenn Research Center at Lewis Field, on dedication day, May, 20, 1943.
The National Advisory Committe on Aeronautics (NACA) was a precursor to NASA. NACA was created by Congress in 1915.
Each weekday, SPACE.com looks back at the history of spaceflight through photos (archive).