A female NACA staff testing the chemical properties of substances at the Aircraft Engine Research Laboratory.
In this historical photo from the U.S. space agency, a NACA staff testing chemical properties of fuels and lubricants on Aug. 19, 1943, at the Aircraft Engine Research Laboratory in Cleveland Ohio, now known as John H. Glenn Research Center at Lewis Field.
The National Advisory Committe on Aeronautics (NACA) was a precursor to NASA. NACA was created by Congress in 1915.
Each weekday, SPACE.com looks back at the history of spaceflight through photos (archive).