NASA is moving up targetlaunch dates for its next two shuttle missions by three days each in a bid toget both off the ground before a window of opportunity closes in late November.
- The launch of Atlantis on a Hubble Space Telescope servicing mission now is targeted for Oct. 5.
- Endeavour is scheduled to launch Nov. 7 on an International Space Station outfitting mission.
Senior managers areexpected to firmup the dates Aug. 14.
NASA faces a Nov. 24deadline to launch2008 station missions.
The station would not beable to generate enough power, or dispel enough heat, due to the sun angle onits solar wings between Nov. 25 and Dec. 17. NASA also aims not to launchduring the Christmas and New Year's holidays.
Published under license from FLORIDA TODAY. Copyright ? 2001FLORIDA TODAY. No portion of this material may be reproduced in any way withoutthe written consent of FLORIDA TODAY.
- Video: Hubble Repair Missions
- Images: Hubble's Photos: When Galaxies Collide
- Video: Space Shuttle Bloopers