Aurora Guide: How the Northern Lights Work (Infographic)
The auroras of Earth are some of the most spectacular skywatching experiences on the planet and never fail to delight observers lucky enough to see them. Also known as the northern and southern lights, Earth's auroras are caused by interactions of solar particles in the planet's upper atmosphere. See how they work in the SPACE.com infographic above.
- Poll: Have You Ever Seen the Northern Lights?
- Northern Lights, Earth's Auroras, Causes and Facts
- Photos: Auroras Supercharged by 2012 Solar Storms
- Exploring the Northern Lights: Alaska Aurora Expedition Coverage
- A Guide for Watching Earth's Auroras